Perhaps one of the best aspects of the job as a freelance illustrator is map-making. If you are tasked to create maps, you virtually travel across the world and visit places where you never have been. If you are a freelance illustrator and are looking to create a map, you can start by looking at Google “My Places” map. Here are some suggested tips for you from the pros:
- Log into Google and click Maps. Next, click the My Places buttons and then click “Create Maps” button.
- Give your map a name and then choose it to become “Unlisted” or “Public”. After, you can click “Done”.
- Now, you can search for a location with the help of the search box button and then hit “Save to My Maps.” From there, you can choose the kind of map you want to save it to and then view the map.
- When you have already saved the locations on the map, you can click the “Edit” button and then click the place that you want to edit in your list. A callout box will then appear on the map which will allow you to change the title of the location and description and style of the pin and even the color.
- Once you have already set up and have installed Google Earth, you can choose to look at different locations in “Satellite” mode or the “Street View” and then go for the “Earth” view from your browser in order to fly in and then get a feel for the topography of the city as well as the heights of the building.
- Next stop is to a download a KML file in the map and this is done by clicking the KML link or the icon for Google Earth which is found under the title of the map. You can now double click the file in order to launch Google Earth on your system with the map preloaded.
You can also do illustrated maps which are considered a very challenging work. Indeed when the hurdle is overtaken, you will feel very accomplished.
If you are looking for an online product designer then better choose HTML5 Online Product Designer and jQuery rather than Flex. Most of these designer tools are used to create custom designed T-shirts. These t-shirt designer tools are very powerful since it gives the user the ability to create and design their own shorts depending on their preference and style. Since these designer tools are web applications, there are considerations that must be factored in such as the platform used in developing the software. Designers now have the option to choose between flex technologies, a platform that has been in the market for over a century and still used by many, or HTML5 and jQuery. This article will discuss more about the limitations when using Flex compared to the various advantages that both HTML5 and jQuery can offer when it comes to an online product designer tool.
Flex used to be the first and foremost choice when one talks about designer tools but after the development and introduction of HTML5 and jQuery into the market, things have changed. Internet surfing has now entered the era of responsive technology which means flex is less and less used. This is mainly because of the incompatibility of flex when used with mobile hand phones used by the majority. This is where HTML5 and jQuery acquired an important role because they are not only responsive but can be used in any browser in any gadget. Since more and more customers are using mobile these days, the use of flex would be a disadvantage knowing today’s population is more inclined to using mobile when surfing.
Here are other advantages from HTML5 and jQuery that is not available in flex technology:
– SEO Friendly. When it comes to applications that are SEO friendly, HTML5 and jQuery are the best options.
– Security. If you are looking for a secure web application then HTML 5 and jQuery are designed to counter various attacks and threats in their security.
– User interaction. Users with slow internet connections can use HTML5 and jQuery without encountering problems while flex requires high speed connection.
– Element Size. When it comes to size, applications using HTML5 and jQuery use less space.
PHP is a more popular scripting language for web design because it is free and it is has an open source license. A web developer does not need to pay for the license of using PHP as long as it is not for commercial purposes. With PHP, you can end up building a full packed interactive social media website, or a simple information site. You can build and run a business website with PHP, just like greasemania.com that doesn’t use a Content Management System like WordPress, which is popularly used nowadays.
However, when you are dealing with web pages, you will often hear people talk about CGI scripts. Actually, CGI is essentially the connection or interface between a form on the website and the website server.
Important facts about CGI
- CGI can be used to run programs on your website; however, many of the free or less expensive web hosting providers does not allow CGI access on their servers.
- Programs and scripts that run on the web server can be used as a CGI program but most web developers prefer to use Perl, C, C++ and Unix shell scripts to write their CGI scripts.
How CGI is used in web design
CGI is used in the creation of Word documents that depend on user interaction. CGI scripts are used in resolving form data, in putting data into databases, in sending data in the form of an email message and in responding to the form entry with email or a different web page. CGI is also used for behind-the-scenes interaction with readers because they can read cookies and acquire information such as browser and operating system.
PHP is a widely used scripting language and interpreter to create dynamic web pages. PHP is free with an open source license. This means that the open source license only covers the commercial use of the code. For example, if you want a blog for your website, Simple Blog PHP script can easily be installed into the website without worrying about the license. PHP is mainly focused on server-side scripting to collect form data, generate dynamic web page content or send and receive cookies. The script is also good for database access, disk access, networking and manipulation of text.
Why do more and more web developers use PHP?
- The traditional approach was to use CGI mechanism in adding interactivity but each new request requires the server to start a new process in the kernel that consumes CPU time and memory making the CGI mechanism a lot slower particularly when using multiple concurrent CGI scripts. PHP interpreter which is also called parser generates the HTML code in the server so it does not consume CPU time or memory.
- PHP is widely used in the web because it is free and it has a fully featured platform where the use can download the source code and executables and install them on the computer. If you are on a limited budget, PHP would be a good option in building dynamic data-driven websites.
- PHP is quite popular for being easy. The language is a combination of the best features of C and Perl.
- PHP has a native database support from MySQL, mSQL, Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Direct MS-SQL, PostgreSQL, Unix, dbm, IBM DB2, dBase, InterBase, FrontBase, Ingres, Hyperwave, Adabas D, Solid, FilePro, Empress, Ovrimos and Velocis that allow access to databases directly through SQL statements. In addition PHP supports Open Database Connection (ODBC) standards that will allow you to connect to other databases supporting the standard.
- PHP is compatible with majority of operating systems like Linux and its variations, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, RISC OS and many others. Majority of web servers support PHP and they have the PHP interpreter module. With PHP you have a wide range of choice for server-side scripting ad command line scripting.
Scripting languages and system programming languages are designed for different tasks. Scripting language is designed for gluing and connecting several powerful components together while system programming language is designed specifically for building data structures and algorithms from scratch. Several recent trends brought about by technology resulted in faster machines, increased use of graphical user interface and component architecture have greatly affected the applicability of the scripting languages. These trends are expected to continue in the future and more new applications will be written entirely in scripting languages while system programming languages will be used primarily for creating components.
The differences between scripting language and system programming languages
Scripting languages used today include Perl, Python, Rexx, visual Basic and Unix shells. They represent a very different style of programming than system programming languages. Scripting languages assume that there is already a collection of useful components that have been written in other languages and they are intended for plugging together the components.
Scripting languages are also often used to extend the features of components but not for complex algorithms and data structures. So as to simplify the connection of components, scripting languages tend to be typeless which makes it easier to hook together components. There are no restrictions on how things can be used since all components and values are represented in a uniform fashion. A component that has been designed for one purpose can be used for any situation.
In contrast system programming languages are strongly typed by the programmer to declare how each piece of information will be used and the language will prevent the information from being used in any other way. Typing has its advantages because it makes large programs more manageable by clarifying how things will be used so that they can be treated differently. System programming language was introduced mainly as an alternative to assembly languages where virtually every aspect of the machine is reflected in the program making it difficult to write and maintain large programs. System programming language is of a higher level which means that many details are handled automatically so that the programmer does not need to write so many codes in order to get the job done right.
Every year, new web tools and scripts are released and it continues to develop as technology advances. Thanks to open source plugins and free scripts, web developers have more access and control.
WordPress, a CMS platform, is web designers’ and web designers’ top choice when it comes to providing a wide range of free templates, as well as different useful plugins. These are very important in building a website that is not only beautiful but highly functional as well.
If you are looking for the perfect tools and scripts for you, you need not look far. WordPress developers, hold on to your seats. These are the list of free source tools:
• HTML5 BLANK – If you like building your own idea for an e-commerce site like ugly christmas sweaters, this WordPress template which is a free open source is the perfect choice for you. Its HTML template codes are very simple; no wonder web developers prefer this rather than other similar tools. Web developers find that there is no need to create files from scratch using this template when customizing new WordPress themes.
• WordPress Bootstrap – Since the popularity of the Twitter Bootstrap, it has been the focus of web developers especially the new ones. This idea was then merged beautifully with WordPress Bootstrap. WordPress Bootstrap is an open source theme which utilizes the Bootstrap framework. It is built using a theme source called Bones. Most of WordPress Bootstrap’s elements and features come with a default shortcode.
• Roots Theme – This theme is a free WordPress theme that is built using the Twitter Bootstrap. It is basically runs using HTML5 Boilerplate. It is easier to customize and a great alternative to WordPress Bootstrap. By editing roots, even web developers who haven’t used this theme before can learn a lot after a few days. It is a great teaching tool.
• QueryPosts – A great number WordPress documentation can be found using this tool and it is easier to understand. You can even look at sample and the codes. Function names are all in single file, along with the important parameters and the location in the script. This is a recommended website for WordPress developers.
Website scripts are part of design although they are not actually visible to web users. Web script defines a website behavior in response to the clicks made by a visitor. Aside from the Worldwide Web, web scripts are also used for the automation process of computers because it contributes to its usability and flexibility. Each web script is a representation of a text document with a list of instructions that should be executed by a specific program so as to achieve the automation desired. Scripts make is easier for users to browse through sites or work on personal computers without undertaking complicated steps to reach their desired results.
A brief insight into simple shell scripting
The first scripting languages were introduced in the 1960’s but instead of scripting languages they were referred to as job control languages or simple set of commands to save a human operator from executing it manually. The power of shell scripts allows users to program commands in chains and have the system execute the scripts similar to batch files. For example, a command can be invoked like a date and use it on a file-naming scheme so that all copied filed will have the current date appended at the end of the name. Aside from its programming functions, scripts are actually programs in their own rights that work directly into the operating systems interface.
How to use web scripts into your web design
Scripts are universal which means you can use it regardless of the platform with little tweaking required. However, it is suggested to try the scripts before you put them to work to prevent any nasty mistakes. You have to read the scripts before you download and be extra careful with whatever data you have in case things go wrong. The good thing with scripts is their source is visible to everyone by making use of the View Source function. This feature of scripts has helped many programmers in the basics of scripting. Learning the function of scripts as powerful programming method can help save a lot of time and learn the command line better so as to avoid tedious management tasks.