You can make use of a website as a platform to inform people about an idea or you could use it as a means to promote your product. It has been the trend of the world today to make use of electronic commerce as a means of retailing a product. One creates a website wherein the buyers could purchase online. This makes lives easier. You will not be burdened by being stuck in traffic just to get to the shopping mall to purchase something. The online world has indeed evolved, catering to the distinct needs of human beings. As a player in the online world, it is important for you to have the right tools in order to invite response from your audience when they visit your website.
Tips and Tricks
You ought to know who you are up against online. There the giants in the industry that you are in. They hire experts to design their website. Do you stand a chance against them? Of course! Do not underestimate yourself. You can do. Here are some tips and tricks in designing your website.
• Create a common theme for your website.
There are free website layouts or designs available on the internet. Ensure that there is unity in the colors and overall design of your website. Create professional impressions on your users.
• Scale your images properly.
Optimize and scale the pictures that you will display in your website. Make sure that the photography is of high quality. This way, your users could immediately capture the message that you want to relay to them.
• Use distinct and insightful navigation tools
The primary navigation tool in your website should be in a horizontal placement and is found in the upper section of your website.
• Cultivate a good ambience
When users visit your website, give them some space to breathe and explore. Have the words displayed in such manner that there are enough spaces in between paragraph or sentences. Do not give your users a headache by condensing paragraphs in a tiny space in your website.
• Design every page as if it were the first page the visitor opens
Every page in your website should be carefully designed. Don’t fall into the trap of having only your home page designed with careful thought. You should pour out your idea in every page.
PHP is a more popular scripting language for web design because it is free and it is has an open source license. A web developer does not need to pay for the license of using PHP as long as it is not for commercial purposes. With PHP, you can end up building a full packed interactive social media website, or a simple information site. You can build and run a business website with PHP, just like greasemania.com that doesn’t use a Content Management System like WordPress, which is popularly used nowadays.
However, when you are dealing with web pages, you will often hear people talk about CGI scripts. Actually, CGI is essentially the connection or interface between a form on the website and the website server.
Important facts about CGI
- CGI can be used to run programs on your website; however, many of the free or less expensive web hosting providers does not allow CGI access on their servers.
- Programs and scripts that run on the web server can be used as a CGI program but most web developers prefer to use Perl, C, C++ and Unix shell scripts to write their CGI scripts.
How CGI is used in web design
CGI is used in the creation of Word documents that depend on user interaction. CGI scripts are used in resolving form data, in putting data into databases, in sending data in the form of an email message and in responding to the form entry with email or a different web page. CGI is also used for behind-the-scenes interaction with readers because they can read cookies and acquire information such as browser and operating system.
PHP is a widely used scripting language and interpreter to create dynamic web pages. PHP is free with an open source license. This means that the open source license only covers the commercial use of the code. For example, if you want a blog for your website, Simple Blog PHP script can easily be installed into the website without worrying about the license. PHP is mainly focused on server-side scripting to collect form data, generate dynamic web page content or send and receive cookies. The script is also good for database access, disk access, networking and manipulation of text.
Why do more and more web developers use PHP?
- The traditional approach was to use CGI mechanism in adding interactivity but each new request requires the server to start a new process in the kernel that consumes CPU time and memory making the CGI mechanism a lot slower particularly when using multiple concurrent CGI scripts. PHP interpreter which is also called parser generates the HTML code in the server so it does not consume CPU time or memory.
- PHP is widely used in the web because it is free and it has a fully featured platform where the use can download the source code and executables and install them on the computer. If you are on a limited budget, PHP would be a good option in building dynamic data-driven websites.
- PHP is quite popular for being easy. The language is a combination of the best features of C and Perl.
- PHP has a native database support from MySQL, mSQL, Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Direct MS-SQL, PostgreSQL, Unix, dbm, IBM DB2, dBase, InterBase, FrontBase, Ingres, Hyperwave, Adabas D, Solid, FilePro, Empress, Ovrimos and Velocis that allow access to databases directly through SQL statements. In addition PHP supports Open Database Connection (ODBC) standards that will allow you to connect to other databases supporting the standard.
- PHP is compatible with majority of operating systems like Linux and its variations, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, RISC OS and many others. Majority of web servers support PHP and they have the PHP interpreter module. With PHP you have a wide range of choice for server-side scripting ad command line scripting.
It’s good to have a website integrated with the coolest and latest features but sometimes it takes a toll on the website in various ways. Creating a website with a simple design can be very advantageous to the site owner. Simple doesn’t always mean that your website will lack all the cool features and attractiveness that entices the viewers; it will just get rid of unnecessary elements that have a bad effect on your website.
There are many advantages with a simple web design. First of all, the website becomes easier to navigate. Navigation is made simpler because of the absence of clutter and the web pages are fewer in number. Most people prefer a website with a simple design because it is easy to understand and familiarize.
Simple design also means smaller file sizes that allows the website to load faster. A website that is easy to navigate and loads fast can greatly contribute to user experience.
A simple website can also easily determine if there is a problem. Problems are also easily solved because there are only a few style sheets for web designers to trace. Also, simple web designs allow web designers to easily construct and build a great website. Sometimes, there are also websites that appear simple but are actually really complex. Color choices can be quite deceptive. You would think that having simple color choices means simple web design but this is not entirely true. The simplicity of the design is determined by its usability and the minimum elements that the site is integrated with.
In creating a simple website, you should first ask this simple question: what is important? What is not?
Remove decorative elements that have no relevance or unnecessary to the website. They only add to the loading weight of cluttered websites. You don’t have to remove all the decorative elements; otherwise, your site would look dull. Remove only the ones that have no important functions.
Make sure that the backend of your web site is the same as your frontend. Sometimes, there are websites who focus only on the frontend of the website. This is wrong because it will leave the backend all cluttered up and back to being inefficient. Rather than have a simple design that is quick, if the backend structure and programming isn’t well organized, you’ll probably just end up with simple and slow site.
A simple website can be very advantageous; especially those who wish to make business with an online audience that wants to get what they’re looking for fast and hassle free. Some business sites like that of Landscapia have integrated simplicity to their web design. This will enable potential clients to make easier business and inquiries with the company. They can easily sell their products, artificial grass for example. You only need great content and a good design and features and then you are all set.
Being an online retail shop where its main goal is to provide the best service to their customers in the selling of merchandises such as from their favorite TV shows, films, comics, novels and games, it is crucial for an online store like TV Store Online to have a website that is inviting and nice to look at.
There are a few areas in a retail website that needs consideration and this can be achieved successfully if the following elements are followed:
One of the most vital elements in web scripts and design – and something that the TV Store Online Website sorely lacks – is spacing. The layout shouldn’t be cramped and the texts shouldn’t be unreadable for users.
Simple navigation is crucial in order for a website to be able to function properly without having to break down and crash. They need not to be complex or unique. They just need to be easy to use and simple to recognize. Visitors only ask for simple things when it comes to browsing websites: familiarity on what area they are on in a site, a quick way to go back to the homepage and directions on which way to go.
Social Media Buttons/Links
A website needs to have social media links in order to be able to draw other people using social networking sites into their stores. If there seems to be an overload of social media links in the online shop, then that could easily overwhelm the visitor. Any links located below the upper part of the homepage should be avoided or removed.
Style For Buttons
Buttons should be identifiable and one of the same. They must have similar design special effects and touch, in spite of its position or reason for that button’s existence. The buttons in any online shop need to be clear and uniform.
A website that contains great images is a mega plus for a website’s success. The image sizes should be sufficient, although it needs to be sharp and not appear pixilated.
There are big fonts and small fonts. If they are crammed up and there is no proper spacing in between the sentences, it makes it difficult to read for users.
Scripting languages and system programming languages are designed for different tasks. Scripting language is designed for gluing and connecting several powerful components together while system programming language is designed specifically for building data structures and algorithms from scratch. Several recent trends brought about by technology resulted in faster machines, increased use of graphical user interface and component architecture have greatly affected the applicability of the scripting languages. These trends are expected to continue in the future and more new applications will be written entirely in scripting languages while system programming languages will be used primarily for creating components.
The differences between scripting language and system programming languages
Scripting languages used today include Perl, Python, Rexx, visual Basic and Unix shells. They represent a very different style of programming than system programming languages. Scripting languages assume that there is already a collection of useful components that have been written in other languages and they are intended for plugging together the components.
Scripting languages are also often used to extend the features of components but not for complex algorithms and data structures. So as to simplify the connection of components, scripting languages tend to be typeless which makes it easier to hook together components. There are no restrictions on how things can be used since all components and values are represented in a uniform fashion. A component that has been designed for one purpose can be used for any situation.
In contrast system programming languages are strongly typed by the programmer to declare how each piece of information will be used and the language will prevent the information from being used in any other way. Typing has its advantages because it makes large programs more manageable by clarifying how things will be used so that they can be treated differently. System programming language was introduced mainly as an alternative to assembly languages where virtually every aspect of the machine is reflected in the program making it difficult to write and maintain large programs. System programming language is of a higher level which means that many details are handled automatically so that the programmer does not need to write so many codes in order to get the job done right.
Every year, new web tools and scripts are released and it continues to develop as technology advances. Thanks to open source plugins and free scripts, web developers have more access and control.
WordPress, a CMS platform, is web designers’ and web designers’ top choice when it comes to providing a wide range of free templates, as well as different useful plugins. These are very important in building a website that is not only beautiful but highly functional as well.
If you are looking for the perfect tools and scripts for you, you need not look far. WordPress developers, hold on to your seats. These are the list of free source tools:
• HTML5 BLANK – If you like building your own idea for an e-commerce site like ugly christmas sweaters, this WordPress template which is a free open source is the perfect choice for you. Its HTML template codes are very simple; no wonder web developers prefer this rather than other similar tools. Web developers find that there is no need to create files from scratch using this template when customizing new WordPress themes.
• WordPress Bootstrap – Since the popularity of the Twitter Bootstrap, it has been the focus of web developers especially the new ones. This idea was then merged beautifully with WordPress Bootstrap. WordPress Bootstrap is an open source theme which utilizes the Bootstrap framework. It is built using a theme source called Bones. Most of WordPress Bootstrap’s elements and features come with a default shortcode.
• Roots Theme – This theme is a free WordPress theme that is built using the Twitter Bootstrap. It is basically runs using HTML5 Boilerplate. It is easier to customize and a great alternative to WordPress Bootstrap. By editing roots, even web developers who haven’t used this theme before can learn a lot after a few days. It is a great teaching tool.
• QueryPosts – A great number WordPress documentation can be found using this tool and it is easier to understand. You can even look at sample and the codes. Function names are all in single file, along with the important parameters and the location in the script. This is a recommended website for WordPress developers.
Time may come when your beloved blog design may look too boring and flat. If you don’t wish to change your blog radically that your followers might not recognize it then how do you keep it fresh for your readers?
1. Consider putting up a new section
Adding a new section in your website will greatly freshen up your website content without ruining your original concept. You can add a section for your upcoming projects for example. Or you can just put anything you like in that new section especially the ones you’ve like to share but not directly related to your website content.
2. Try some additional video clips or an image gallery
Make your website fresh using video clips or a gallery of pictures related to your website content. Pictures and videos can be easily update and are very catchy. You can make tutorial videos for your followers or even a photo gallery of your recent adventure you think your followers would like to know more of.
3. Client Testimonial
Your client’s feedback is also a good way of keeping your blog fresh. Moreover, it is also a great way for you to advertise the integrity or your services or products. A client’s positive feedback adds to your credibility and effectively attracts more people to try your services or products. Testimonies also make your customers feel closer to you.
4. Encourage followers’ involvement by adding competitions
Daily or weekly challenges and other small contests or games will make your readers more involved. This makes your website more interactive and exciting. You can decide whether you want to give prizes or not. It is natural for us people to compete and challenge ourselves and it’s a fun way to keep your blog irresistible.
These are just a few of the many ways you can keep your blogs fresh. Best of all, you don’t need to be a website design specialist to do the suggestions above. There are many web scripts to help you design and manage your site. For a more personal touch, customized scripts will make your blog changes in no time. This will keep it fresh and easily managed.
For a website is the most vital part of the business particularly for our marketing and branding campaigns. Take Papermart.com, for example, Visitors to that website have one thing in mind that is to search for different kinds of packaging materials that can be used to enhance products. It is therefore important to ensure that all information necessary for a purchasing decision is available on the site. Mistakes in web design can lose them thousands of dollars in revenue which means that investment must be made on professional web design for potential revenue.
Mistakes that have to be avoided in web design
1. Urgency is not an option – before designing a website, it is important to research the target audience in specific market. If you know the requirements of your audience, you can determine what they want from your site. What particular industry will require packaging and how will web design gain their attention? This question can easily be answered once you have researched your market.
2. Design should not be flashy – for a website dealing in packaging, like in the PaperMart exampel, a flashy design is not appropriate because it tends to lose its credibility. Flashy web designs do not look good in mobile devices and if you are targeting mobile users, the best option is to choose responsive web design so that your website can be accessed through different platforms.
3. No clear call to action – when a visitor accesses the site, he already knows what he needs and if you want this visitor to buy a product or subscribe to a newsletter, tell him what to do next. There must be a clear call to action to make it easy for the potential customer to decide.
4. Content must always be up to date – content must always address the needs of customers which means that is must be updated every time there are changes. Sometimes if the customer finds that there is lack of recent information, he may assume that you are no longer active. If you have blogs, make an effort to ensure that there are new posts that will provide customers the information they require.
Your web design must prioritize the needs of your customers. After all they are reasons why there is a website in the first place.
Many individuals are encouraged to blog because of the potential to earn money without the need to report to a 9 to 5 job. According to Pew Research Center, there are 18.7 million women who blog. They talk openly about things that interest them like baking, cooking or handicrafts. How much do these women earn from blogging is a zealously kept secret.
A female blogger can boast of how she was overwhelmed with the gift received by blogging about My Little Pony Pajamas but not the actual earnings generated by her blogs. However, before you quit your job and start blogging, make sure that you do not stumble upon the most common mistakes committed by bloggers.
How to avoid the most common mistakes of new bloggers
Make sure your blog is original – it certainly does not matter whether you blog about the difficulties of caring for three little boys or the pot roast you burned because your attention was focused on the new TV drama. What is important if you are beginner at blogging is to be original. Nobody want to read a repetition of a blog that has been read somewhere and neither do readers want to read about news that was published days ago.
Don’t copy – if you are a beginner at blogging, it is very tempting to copy the work of more established bloggers who have made names in the web. If you have to copy some materials for reference, make sure you cite the material out of respect to its author. If you are not sure about what to write, start with your interests or make a research of blogs that have gained a significant number of followers.
Avoid preaching to your readers – if you are blogging about political and social issues, you can share your opinions but keep it conversational and friendly. Do not appear superior to your readers. Respect the fact that your readers also have their own opinions. If you want to rant, then do so by all means but be very careful of your words. Readers can be easily put off by abusive words and letting off steam by swearing. Always maintain your sense of humor.
Website scripts are part of design although they are not actually visible to web users. Web script defines a website behavior in response to the clicks made by a visitor. Aside from the Worldwide Web, web scripts are also used for the automation process of computers because it contributes to its usability and flexibility. Each web script is a representation of a text document with a list of instructions that should be executed by a specific program so as to achieve the automation desired. Scripts make is easier for users to browse through sites or work on personal computers without undertaking complicated steps to reach their desired results.
A brief insight into simple shell scripting
The first scripting languages were introduced in the 1960’s but instead of scripting languages they were referred to as job control languages or simple set of commands to save a human operator from executing it manually. The power of shell scripts allows users to program commands in chains and have the system execute the scripts similar to batch files. For example, a command can be invoked like a date and use it on a file-naming scheme so that all copied filed will have the current date appended at the end of the name. Aside from its programming functions, scripts are actually programs in their own rights that work directly into the operating systems interface.
How to use web scripts into your web design
Scripts are universal which means you can use it regardless of the platform with little tweaking required. However, it is suggested to try the scripts before you put them to work to prevent any nasty mistakes. You have to read the scripts before you download and be extra careful with whatever data you have in case things go wrong. The good thing with scripts is their source is visible to everyone by making use of the View Source function. This feature of scripts has helped many programmers in the basics of scripting. Learning the function of scripts as powerful programming method can help save a lot of time and learn the command line better so as to avoid tedious management tasks.